permaculture - [permaculture] psychedlics and permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] psychedlics and permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:10:38 -0700 (PDT)

I'm surprised to find such conservative views about psychedelic substances
posted by long-time members of this list. Such substances are important to
many shamanic cultures, which are often presented as models by
permaculturists. From personal experience, I know that psychedelic (which
means 'clear mind') mushrooms and LSD can be important eye-openers when taken
outside as part of an observation exercise. Psychedelics are known to help
one to perceive patterns, an important aspect of the permaculture design
process. They help one to break out of the usual routes of perception,
revealing things that have been overlooked in the past. Furthermore, they
help erase boundaries between self and other, and encourage identification
with all of Nature. This helps us to go with wild Nature, rather than
against it.

Anytime someone sanctions the use of socially acceptable drugs such as
tobacco and alcohol at the expense of substances such as psychedelics and
marijuana, I just have to laugh. The former drugs cause much more harm to
society in myriad ways and the acceptance of individual drugs changes over
time and across cultures. Permaculture is not safe for mainstream society:
we want to destroy it. Therefore, we shouldn't be afraid to rock the boat
from time to time by advocating things that are not accepted by mainstream
society.

I hope I'm mostly just preaching to the choir on this one,

Rain

Yahoo! for Good