permaculture - [permaculture] Philosophy behind mandala gardens

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Bryce <dbryce@bigpond.net.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Philosophy behind mandala gardens
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 22:36:44 GMT

If this seems a dumb question but I'm only just learning about permaculture.

We have started a community garden in my town and had an experienced
community garden person come and run introductory workshops for us. He went
through a lot of material stressing the importance of a mandala garden to a
permaculture setup. I'd never heard the term before and did a google search
for "Mandala". Everything it turned up was about Buddhism and Tibetan sand
art, etc.

I have searched for mandala garden using google and have found only pictures,
how to do it, etc. Nothing about basic philosophy. I have found some
discussions on whether or not mandala gardens are superior to ordinary
rectangular or any-shape gardens.

What I want to know is how much is the concept of the mandala garden tied to
Buddhist philosophy? I do not wish to offend anyone but I am not a Buddhist
and have no desire to be involved in anything that has that philosophy built
in to it.

Regards - Dave in Australia