permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Philosophy behind mandala gardens

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lisa in Oregon <lisamaciver8@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Philosophy behind mandala gardens
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 22:10:53 -0700 (PDT)

I've got an area where I'm putting in keyhole beds and other curved
shapes - a flower and herb garden that's meant for walking and
enjoying, not just producing. The organic curved irregular areas
really encourage a sort of natural disorder, letting things self sow,
mixing annuals and perennials. On the other hand I really have a
hard time not planting neat rows and blocks in the rectangular
vegetable beds, even when I try to interplant. Left to myself I'm
out there with a measuring tape calculating the distance between
plants. Can't do that so well in a teardrop shaped bed...

Lisa in Ashland Oregon

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html