permaculture - [permaculture] Goats herding

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Roxann Phillips" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Goats herding
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:51:58 -0500

I have goats and they do eat the bark if you don't provide them enough
browse. However, they will come in really handy for clearing my
pastures and helping me to get rid of some of the brambles and cedars
that have overtaken it all. Mine are easily fenced, however, with 3
strands of electric tape and a battery or solar charger. They share the
space with the horse - the horse never attempted to cross it, but it did
take the goats a few times of being shocked before they got the message.

On my farm I plan to use chickens and goats on a plot first, then let a
couple pigs root around thoroughly, then I'll be able to remove the
rocks and then plant. It'll be much more sustainable than using
gasoline powered tractor implements to do the same thing, and all the
occupants of the farm will be helping in some way.

I'm sure the plan isn't strictly permaculture, but I am still learning
about permaculture and how to implement it into my farm. The goats are a
necessary part of the picture because they provide me with milk for
drinking, cooking, and soapmaking.

Roxann
www.ancientearthwisdom.com