permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Cement/concrete

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lee Flier <lflier@mindspring.com>
  • To: paul@richsoil.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Cement/concrete
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:25:53 -0500

Paul Wheaton wrote:

I remember once suggesting building a raised bed garden using mortared stone.
My father
talked me out of it: "growies hate cement"
I remember reading a book on ponds and docks and it saying that cement in the
water was
the strongest solution, but also the worst for the environment.

I always figured it had to do with a really high pH. Yes? No? More to it?

Hmm I'm not exactly sure, but if it IS the high pH, then your location and existing soil type would have a lot to do with whether cement is a bad thing. Here in Georgia where we have really acid soil, "growies" LOVE cement, and so do earthworms. There's a lot of limestone in most concrete and I imagine that's what they're attracted to. I had some concrete cinder blocks sitting in my yard for a bit and all SORTS of things started growing in and around them, and when I picked them up there were a ton of worms. Ditto when I put down some new mortar to repair my stone porch.

It's possible that there's other nasty stuff in concrete, but unless I hear otherwise I'm going to assume that since the plants and worms like it around here, it's a good thing around here. If you already have very alkaline soil, probably not so good.

Lee