permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Cement/concrete

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Cement/concrete
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:17:47 -0800 (PST)

So all of the problems with it are in the manufacture, not in the use?

We talked on this list a week or two ago about using ferro cement for a
hobbit hole.
I've since thought about similar uses for a root cellar. Then about as a
roofing
material for a hogan or cob dome.

I remember once suggesting building a raised bed garden using mortared stone.
My father
talked me out of it: "growies hate cement"

I remember reading a book on ponds and docks and it saying that cement in the
water was
the strongest solution, but also the worst for the environment.

I always figured it had to do with a really high pH. Yes? No? More to it?