permaculture - [permaculture] Re: honey locust trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Meg Mullett <meg@kcnet.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: honey locust trees
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 12:57:30 -0600

Hi Paul,

Have you checked with your state dept of forestry or dept of
conservation? Here in KS, the conservation service offers seedlings for
sale very inexpensively every spring. Here's the listing of what they
have available each year:
http://www.kansasforests.org/conservation/items.shtml Perhaps your
state has a similar program?

According to their page on honey locust:
http://www.kansasforests.org/conservation/deciduous/honeylocust.shtml
male and female flowers, and hence fruit, may occur on the same tree.

I've not tried to feed the pods to any of our animals, but I can vouch
for the foliage's palatability to goats.

Hope this helps,
Meg in KS