permaculture - [permaculture] bentonite to seal ponds?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Anne Erlandson" <aerlandson1972@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] bentonite to seal ponds?
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:15:58 -0700

We are reclaiming an old pond which is full of alders and will need something to plug up the bottom of the pond. Our neighbors' ponds slowly drain throughout the summer so we probably need something to seal the bottom and would like to avoid having to buy a huge piece of plastic (future garbage). Does anyone have any experience with or information about sealing large ponds with bentonite? If bentonite is a good way to go does anyone have any leads on where I might find some in western Washington?

Thanks!

Anne Erlandson