permaculture - Re: [permaculture] bentonite to seal ponds?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] bentonite to seal ponds?
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:08:00 EDT

In a message dated 7/25/2004 4:16:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
aerlandson1972@hotmail.com writes:
> Does anyone have any experience with or information about sealing
> large ponds with bentonite? If bentonite is a good way to go does anyone
> have any leads on where I might find some in western Washington?

Contact the State of Washington and ask them where they get theirs. They have
regulations on the quality of sealant they find satisfactory (in this
instance, for sealing drill-hole casings), so they must have a list of
sources for it
somewhere.

http://www.leg.wa.gov/WAC/index.cfm?section=173-160-221&fuseaction=section

http://www.leg.wa.gov/WAC/index.cfm?section=173-160-450&fuseaction=section

Or try the Industrial Resource Network...

http://www.powersourcing.com/sf/pondsealingbentonite.htm

Here's an interesting page on abandoned wells...

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb1714/eb1714.html

There are all sorts of articles on the how-tos...

http://www.malibuwater.com/PondBentonite.html

http://www.waterandwastewater.com/www_services/ask_tom_archive/wyoming_bentoni
te_pond_liners_and_...

http://www.cjnetworks.com/~sccdistrict/pondseal.htm

http://efotg.nrcs.usda.gov/references/public/AL/al521b&;
c-SealingaPondwithAdditives-01-03.pdf

The trouble with the Web is its information overload. It has been said that
getting info from it is like drinking from a fire hose. I hope this tiny
sampling is helpful.

M. Elvin