permaculture - Re: [permaculture] city pollution -one little idea

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Williamson <rz.williamson@optusnet.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] city pollution -one little idea
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:34:47 +1000

Hi Kelly - in the end we've got what we've got and must all DO something...anything.

I would recommend reading "urban eden" by Adam & James CAPLIN, published by Kyle Cathie Limited, 122 Arlington Road, London NW17HP. The first chapter, "healthy gardens" pp 12-31 covers the topic well.

Also "really small gardens" by Jane BILLINGTON, The Royal Horticultural Society ... a practical guide to gardening in a truly small space.
Quadrille Publishing Limited, Alhambra House, 27-31 Charing Cross Road, London WC2H0LS has
-over 150 photographs of truly small gardens
-detailed garden plans
-over 30 illustrated planting schemes
-a wealth of ideas for contemporary yards and rooftops
-150 of the best plants for small gardens
-practical advice for a good-looking garden year-round

There's another little book out of mother england called "Postage Stamp Gardening" but i don't have the details. does anyone else know it?

We are motivating local people around us (in Sydney) to start repairing their own bits of earth, reducing, recycling etc. and NOT watering,
PLANTING TREES et al

Apart from money, pollution is the only thing that cities produce in large quantities.
The other one being waste. These 3 elements combined produce contagious diseases in human populations, in large quantities. When you add politicians to the equation, watch out, i.e. specifically your back, and sides, and for people taking pictures.

Wishing you all the best of luck in your projects
robinet