permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Steps Toward an Economy of Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "RIA SWIFT" <Riaswift@msn.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Steps Toward an Economy of Permaculture
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 09:30:09 -0500

Sounds like you are bit cynical Bob.  Too bad you missed the message on the Sedona Board.  Not new age crap at all (by saying 'with respect' is not the same as being respectful).  Advertising makes you suspicious?  Gee isn't everything advertised A LOT!!!!!!!  It is not a therapy it is a method.

You wrote:
With respect - googling sedona therapy and going through the first 100 odd links produced
nothing but advertising. This, in itself is enough to make me suspicious of claims about any
putative benefits. The only independent description of the actual therapy i found was in some
flame wars in newsgroups. It basically sounds like rehashed new age feel good crap to me.
You try to separate the 'addictions' by bringing one into describe the other.
The very reason I brought up the Sedona Method.  Sounds like you have a habit to break so that you can get to another place about understanding what creates addictions and habits.  Just because something sounds like something else to you doesn't make it so.  Hopefully people will get over this same notion about permaculture....that it is sounds like some sort of crap.  You missed the message.  It's a way of thinking like you evidenced.  We are stuck in our way of thinking, which creates habits and addictions.  By being able to release the outdated thoughts and emotions we break the habit and addiction. Very simple.  It works.  The guy who developed this method was a Ph D Physicist - not a new ager.....sort of like Einstein.
If you keep thinking the same way I bet you'll get the same results.  Nothing new agey about that is there?

Annoyed, Ria

My point about 'addiction' was that it was a by product of the dislocation and devaluing of
reproductive work as a consequence of the growth of capitalist economics with it's emphasis
on productive values.

As John Schinnerer pointed out(quoting Bateson) addictions and habits share common
features. In my experience, people with 'bad' (i.e. unsustainable) addictions usually replace
them with sustainable habits. But learning new habits when you are old is much harder than
learning new habits when you are young. Which is why child care is such an important issue
in reproductive economics and why PC in schools is almost as important as (say)sex
education.

Addictive behaviour is a pathology of selfishness ( i need etc..) and this has it's origins in a
social order that values selfishness above all other things(capitalism). Also we must recognize
that capitalism (more specifically the CIA in Vietnam and Columbia) supplies the drugs
because there is a profit to be made. The introduction of heroin into the US, Australia and
Europe, (initially by the CIA) was at least partly due to the recognition (buy the CIA and
others) of it's potential disruptive impact on the organisation of working class resistance to the
agenda of global capitalism.

Overcoming drug addiction is a long term process and essentially involves people being
reorientated into developing reproductive skills in their daily lives. The physical consequences
of drugs, and the social networks available to individuals are critical issues. Above all people
need a rationale which critiques the culture of selfishness known as capitalism - this is why
religion works for many people.

Real and lasting change will only occur when capitalism loses it's hegemonic power over the
world's people.

Bob