permaculture - [permaculture] Web and business lookups (was Re: New name for Land and Liberty)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rob@zedspace.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Web and business lookups (was Re: New name for Land and Liberty)
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 05:33:06 -0600

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

> Graham Burnett wrote:
>
> > For reasons I won't go into here, I'm shortly changing the name and have a
> > few ideas in mind, however I need to check that these names arn't already
> > registered by someone else- I've done web searches which havn't showed
> > anything up, but does anybody know if there is an online publiclly
> > viewable
> > database of existing registered buisness or voluntary group names (UK or
> > internationally)?
>
> register.com and verizon.com are all you'll need to find and secure a
> domain for yourself.
> Those two are th easiest to use and are secure.

Be careful when using register.com - I've had several experiences of looking
up a domain name here and the next time I tried it had been registered. Some
of these companies monitor or sell the list of names that people are
enquiring about. So if its available and you want it, buy it stright away.
I've used domainwhitepages.com with no problems though.

As far as looking up names for businesses and voluntary groups, you can use
companies house (www.companieshouse.gov.uk) to look up any uk company, and
the patent office (http://www.patent.gov.uk) to see if the name you're
thinking of is a registered trade mark. I don't know of any directory of
voluntary groups or worldwide directory of businesses though. You could of
course try google :)

Incidentally, is you name change related to the Land & Liberty magazine - I
hope they paid you well!

Cheers,
Rob