permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Bigotry

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Felicity Wright" <flickwright@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Bigotry
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 11:12:24 +0930

Chill (as my kids say). I was just being a bit slack and hooking up with the
thread and had deleted the earlier posts made by another Australian. No
suggestion (or slight) intended. I'd really rather not point the finger at
anyone - just urge people to think about the way language and tone can
communicate negativity ... and bigotry.

Language is (one of?) the most powerful tool(s) for maintaining the dominant
paradigm. We can all so easily slip into the habits of competition,
criticism and being judgemental that have been ingrained in the western
culture - even while we purport, and believe ourselves, to be 'alternative
thinkers'.

Truly 'caring for people' may well be one of the biggest challenges of PC
for those of us raised in the highly individualistic and competitive
societies of the west. I suppose I'm advocating mindfulness.

flick