permaculture - [permaculture] Bigotry, barium, aluminum

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Bigotry, barium, aluminum
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:21:42 EDT

Dear Everybody--

Please let's chill. Sometimes I make these stereotypes myself, and hope if I do that everyone won't be so sensitive to them as to take them personally. As an American I'm aware that we are very insular and often don't have a very good grasp of the rest of the world. I was in Bulgaria once, and know that in a little place like that you have a fine view of the rest of the world, because most of the world is, in fact, "the rest" of the world. Nobody knows them, but they have a pretty good picture of America in their minds. I wasn't offended because what the person said was true.

A lot of stereotypes are "true" in that sense-- they don't apply universally to everyone, but there's something in there you can agree with.

The chemtrails thing was a good subject to bring up without necessarily ascribing to it absolute proven fact-- it's food for thought. Is anyone familiar with the Fortean Society? Forteans are interested in the study of the paranormal-- divination, crop circles, conspiracy theories, extraterrestrials, everything odd. They don't believe in the stuff they study, and they're not there just to debunk it either. They study it, and try to inform their opinions by analyzing the evidence. They're pretty interesting people.

In my neighborhood we periodically have crisscrossed contrails that don't appear to be from any normal flight patterns. Eight or ten weeks will go by and you won't see more than one track in the sky-- then one day it looks like a child's etch-a-sketch up there. Who knows why? It's worth further study.

I'd bring the conversation back to permaculture (we always get far off the track, it looks like) but the kudzu's swallowed up my patch down by the creek again-- it's been raining here. Today more deeds, fewer words are needed.

Mike Elvin

  • [permaculture] Bigotry, barium, aluminum, Marimike6, 06/03/2003