permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Greening Earth Society

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Greening Earth Society
  • Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:14:43 -0600

At 01:46 PM 12/2/02 -0800, you wrote:
The problem with the carbon-in-soils equation from a human perspective is that we didn't evolve on this planet in an ecosystem where all that carbon was held in the soil. All that carbon was locked up deep down in the rock. For tens to hundreds of millions of years.

In the course of little more than 150 years, we have lifted it out of the earth's crust and put it into the atmosphere.

This is a good analisys of the problem, but I think we can still aggressively pursue sequestering of C in soils (and oceanic carbon sinks). we know it's good for the soil, we know how to do it, and we know people will still be burning fossil fuels for the forseable future. Why not take what we can from a bad situation and move things in the right direction.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK