permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ferrocement Building Project

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark Ludwig <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ferrocement Building Project
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:09:58 -0600

> Why not use standard concrete fiber (fiberglass I think) rather than
> mess with all that chicken wire?

You mean what's called 'engineering fibers'? Dunno. With a good FC
armature of close-knit mesh (of whatever kind) I don't know that they'd
add much. Don't know how they'd affect the 'trowelability' of the
material either.

My thinking is that you substitute the fiber for the bulk of the mesh, save lots of time over arranging all that wire.

> the stuff
> tends to rust out fairly promptly with moisture and is a coated wire,
> dissimilar metals tend to have corrosion problems as they form mild
> electric currents and move atoms around.

So wouldn't expanded metal lath have the same issues? It's a galvanized
metal product...?

I don't think the lath is coated, the stuff I have seen looked like one solid type of metal, either stainless steal or aluminum. The lath has also been a lot more solid than the chicken wire.

> Has anyone knocked apart some
> of this chicken wire reinforced material after a few years? Be
> interesting to know if the CW held up.

Perhaps I'll get back to you in a couple years... ;-)

I have certainly seen a fair amount of corroded steel in concrete, maybe another reason to look at the engineered fibers.

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration