permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ferrocement Building Project

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ferrocement Building Project
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:09:29 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

> I'd sure look at concrete reinforcing wire for some of these
> applications ya'll are describing.

What kind of wire are you referring to, Mark? The thicker, larger-mesh
(6" square, etc.) kind used for reinforcing slab pours and so on? Or...?

> I agree with Kirby that the chicken
> wire, made of two metals and thin, seems a little out of place.

Thin and many is good, for ferrocement - it's the fine matrix of embedded
tensile fibers (e.g. metal mesh, lath, etc. in most cases) that gives it
strength and rigidity. FC is a different combination of materials with
different properties than 'civil-engineering-style' steel-concrete (slabs,
bridges, beams, pilings, steps, etc. etc. )

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration