permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ferrocement Building Project

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ferrocement Building Project
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:57:39 -0600

At 05:07 AM 11/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
In cisterns or anything wet for that matter the galvanized chicken mesh is not recommended, though I have seen it used. It apparently sets up electrolysis with itself and the steel remesh when moist and ultimatelycorrodes

I'd sure look at concrete reinforcing wire for some of these applications ya'll are describing. I agree with Kirby that the chicken wire, made of two metals and thin, seems a little out of place. The reinforcing wire welds fast and easy with a wire feed, might be worth experimenting to see if that would be faster than twisting other wire to tack things together.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK