permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: non-residential courses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: non-residential courses
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 22:53:10 -0700

Jude said:
> Toby and I facilitated an Urban Permaculture Design course based in a
> specific
> neighborhood in my hometown. The convenor raised funds through a
> neighborhood
> grant program and most students attended for free, trade, or $45.U.S. The
> classes were every other weekend and held upstairs at the local Health Food
> Store. This space was traded to us - we did some clean-up in the parking lot
> beds. Participants also supported the store by running downstairs for
> snacks
> and lunch potluck items.

So I'd say that if you have participants from a limited area, and facilitate
group interaction- particularly eating together- you'll have a much better
chance at developing the group consciousness that was being referred to in
earlier postings on this.

when Michael said this:
>The key, actually, especially if different
>> instructors cover different weekends, is that the instructors communicate
> between
>> weekends to help make smooth transitions and ensure that nothing is
> duplicated
> or
>> avoided.
I found it pretty scary! I certainly wouldn't want to do an entire weekend
by myself, and I'd need to know the other teacher(s) very well before I'd
feel like I could talk between classes and really get things set for the
next weekend. Wouldn't you want the continuity of having at least one
teacher around most days at least part of the time?
-Rick