permaculture - [permaculture] Re: non-residential courses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Kramer <michael@naturalinvesting.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: non-residential courses
  • Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 05:00:56 -1000

Non-residential courses can work very well, and in fact, I would like to
suggest
that we need more such courses more than anything in this country, because
they
would be more accessible to average working people. Very few people would
use up
their entire annual vacation to take a residential course of any kind.

When I was with Permaculture Drylands Institute, that was our primary format,
4
weekends every other week, and we attracted a lot of mainstream people -
architects, planners, non-profit staff, etc. While students didn't get the
same
immersion experience as folks in a residential course, the format did bring
people together nicely. I even discovered that sometimes design teams would
meet
on their own between weekends. The key, actually, especially if different
instructors cover different weekends, is that the instructors communicate
between
weekends to help make smooth transitions and ensure that nothing is
duplicated or
avoided.

Michael Kramer
Natural Investment Services