permaculture - Fwd: [permaculture] Allan needs advice on selecting a brush cutter.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Fwd: [permaculture] Allan needs advice on selecting a brush cutter.
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:30:57 EST

Dear Meg----

Once you trim your weeds above-ground, I hope you turn the soil to expose the roots. Otherwise the weeds are all still healthy. For a good hand tool, I really like the garden weasel. You can twist the root balls out. I only wish the handlebars were a little further apart-- you can't get enough torque on the tough weeds without putting some muscle into the task.

And if some of your weeds have grown into one inch diameter trees, they sell a cutting wheel now that fits many models of string trimmers. Look for it at Lowe's or Home Depot.

The next step above a weasel (I have Garden Claw) would logically be one of those little Mantis tillers-- but to me these things are just too lightweight to be of much use. They cost around three hundred, and won't even uproot a lawn. I just use mine to thatch with.

Here in North Carolina we have an industrial size weed problem-- gum trees, kudzu, some serious Green Menace. You can take care of the big stuff fairly easily with a bush hog, like the DR Field & Brush mower. You can get these things all the way up to a size that clears mature thickets, but need a bit of muscle to handle them.

And you won't be able to do without a chipper/shredder either. Get one at least five & a half HP (8 ot 9 is better) and your back forty, last sown in 1998, can be converted into mulch without a great investment in blister creams or liniment.

If we can't find powerful gas-powered man-toys to help us with the work, we just don't much like doing it. If you have a circle of like-minded friends in the neighborhood, consider pooling some funds for a really good set of heavy duty farm equipment. You can rent it to yourselves on a co-op basis, using the rental fees to reimburse someone for upkeep, storage and repairs. Run it like a lending library.

Hope this helps. When in doubt, buy the next size larger than you think you need-- it pays off!

Mike Elvin
Fuquay-Varina, NC