permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc (brix)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc (brix)
  • Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 16:30:04 -0500

One can certainly measure crop health many ways, yield, specific gravity, IR photography, mineral content and balance etc. Brix is useful as it can be checked quickly in the field and indicates a plants health by it's ability to make sugar; the basis for more complex carbs later. I personally wouldn't worry about the mainstream co-opting it too much, they are so focused on yield that quality issues seldom come up.