permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Heavy metal issues

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Heavy metal issues
  • Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 13:00:48 -0500

Rick Valley wrote:
It's a very complex subject,
each element is unique, and popular misconceptions abound. One of the most
common in Pc circles is that the most common and deadly pollution in an
urban/suberban lot will be from the street, when frequently if there's lead
present in dangerous levels, it's coming from housepaint.
see attached forward of interest

are you limiting this to certain elements and certain conditions? If you're speaking broadly I can assure you that urban runoff being a large (if not largest) factor in pollutant loads in waterways is fact. I've been working in stream systems for almost 20 years...the last 14 of which in a largely urbanized county. It is complex, but I can't say it would be a misconception that the issue of runoff pollutant loads isn't a huge problem.