permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Industry and permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Industry and permaculture
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 05:58:11 -0500

Hola Rita,

>> Efficiency--> above leads to better exploitation of the of same area!
(stacking???) <<

Yes, stacked leases. A lease holder (lessee) makes an initial down payment
of $1,000 to the land holder to help pay for existing infrastructure, then
pays 10% of their revenue to the lessor.

>> Animal manure (human animals?) and other waste for energy production...
there is no waste... use within the system... <<

As far as converting methane gas to energy goes I don't hear much about
human waste being used on a large scale, though I'm sure it's possible. On
a small farm scale the Chinese seem to be the most famous for their biogas
digesters.

Re: blackwater purification, The municipalities of Beaumont and Arcada have
turned their waste water treatment "wetlands" into quite the biological
preserves and consequently tourist attractions. Thus creating multiple
functions.

>> Waste water purification -- providing a service for the community, no
waste within the system... (not totally if we need to landfill heavy
metals... can we use them somehow? <<

Hopefully, for municipal wastewater the heavy metal issue would not be too
great of a concern. EPA Supervened Cleanups, however, would certainly be
faced with the challenge of what to do with toxic ash and sludges. I bet
their has to be a limited demand for such residues.

>> Social implications... how do they go along with the governing economic
system? Is it possible? Do you have examples? <<

This is a tough one. Maybe we should look to South Africa where decades of
economic, religious and social structures have been torn down and people
like Mandella are influencing the way businesses and corporations are
restructuring. Employee ownership like that of UPS might be a start here in
the states. If capitalism would factor in the cost of dealing with waste
and pollution instead of passing it blithely onto the government and hence
the tax payers, then that would be another good start.

Ethical lending practices like not guaranteeing high risk loans for nuclear
power plants being built on the side of active volcanoes as in the
Philippines would help the developing world.

I was also amazed at Ford Motor Companies efforts to give every employee a
PC and internet connection.

> Other principles which might need to be addressed: every function should
be
> provided by several elements... what would this mean? Ideas?

Every ESSENTIAL function is supported by multiple elements. Industry is
pretty good at this when it comes to power and water. For instance,
computer labs and hospitals have back up battery power that comes on
immediately during a power outage. Why not add a hydrogen fuel cell to the
list of alternates and back ups. We have to also further diversify the
power coming from the grid - more wind mills and photo voltaic panels.

>> Working with guilds, put modules together and interlink... <<

The natural gas co-generation power plants are required by law to be
situated next to another industry that needs raw steam. Waste steam from
power generation is then piped to the neighboring plant (i.e. Welch's Grape
or a pulp mill) which uses that steam for power, cooking, processing, etc.

Kirby Fry

For the real scoop on environmental and social justice issues check out the
archives of Democracy Now!
http://www.webactive.com/webactive/pacifica/demnow/archive.html