permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Biogas digester plans

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "souscayrous" <souscayrous@wanadoo.fr>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Biogas digester plans
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:39:20 +0100

I have a copy of "Another Kind of Garden: Environment, Agriculture, Energy"
by Jean and Ida Pain in an English translation leant to me by Emilia
Hazelip. Living in the South of France it is a resource second to none for
its understanding of the fire prone, Holm oak forests typical of this region
(excepting, of course, Emilia herself, who has been working for thirty years
to bring the natural farming of Masanobu Fukuoka to temperate climates).

Unfortunately, I am only at the beginning here in developing my few acres
and currently composting brushwood for application as a mulch: a mulch, Jean
Pain claims, will provide the vegetables with all their water requirements
through our long, dry summers. But when I have restored the old building on
the property I would certainly like to develop his ideas for heating and
biogas using the chipped brushwood.

Jean pain died some years ago as Scott writes and I am not aware of Ida Pain
still being involved in his work. www.jean-pain.com is simply a commercial
site intent on selling chippers. The best contact I have for ongoing
research is in Belgium, http://www.inti.be/ecotopie/compbrou.html, the Jean
Pain Committee (married to a Belgian I would think emails addressed in
English will be understood and answered).

Robert mentions an English translation in progress and the French book is
available from the Belgian site above, I would be glad to make Jean Pain's
work available to a wider English speaking audience, but it would appear his
work is not yet free of copyright. Any ideas?

Souscayrous