permaculture - Re: permaculture trademark alert

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "J. Hobbs" <hobbsj@efn.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: permaculture trademark alert
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:19:15 -0700

Dear Comrades,

Where is this going to end? First the logo now this.

For twenty years Bill has tirelessly put forth to spread the word about this 'new' term-permaculture-- via PDC's, his many public speaking engagements, sharing the info with politicians and people from all cultures. We are FINALLY at a critical mass- I can mention the word and people don't always look at me dumbfounded- The logo has worldwide recogniton-

Our energy ought to be spent sharing the knowledge not defending our use of
it.

So what is the purpose (function) of this newfound need for ownership. Why have we not heard directly from Bill or Lisa through all this. They know this is an active site with devoted participants.

Lisa-Bill be brave and let's hear from you. Maybe with an explanation we will understand and possibly embrace this need for ownership and control.... As it sits with me.. all the work we have nurtured since the 80's will be very compromised.

In hopes for a saner future- which I thought was through the action of Permaculture,

Jude Hobbs

P.S. I agree our action does not need to be based around this 'term' it is just that we are on such a roll.......

Just to let you know...

It was brought to my attention today that XAF Pty Ltd (trustee company
for The Permaculture Institute), applicants Bill mollison & Lisa Mollison
lodged applications to trade mark the following:

Trade Mark 877106
PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE
lodged 28 May 2001

and

Trade Mark 877449
PERMACULTURE DESIGN
lodged 30 May 2001

In light of the changes in Pc Institute's policies over the past year
this is somewhat disconcerting as the only people who would receive
permission to use these words would be those personally approved by Lisa
and Bill.
This is a far cry from the long-held policy of the institute that all PDC
holders have the right to teach & design and use the word Permaculture in
their work.
There is opportunity to lodge objections but I do not know when the
deadline is.
The application is for Australia - it may be worth checking if a similar
application has been lodged elsewhere e.g. USA

regards
Robyn Francis

Djanbung Gardens Permaculture Education Centre
home to:
Permaculture Education
ERDA Institute Trust
Nimbin Eco-Village Project Office
Robyn Francis - permaculture designer & educator
PO Box 379, Nimbin NSW 2480 Australia
Ph 02-6689 1755 Fax 02-6689 1225
permed@nor.com.au www.earthwise.org.au

---