permaculture - Re: permaculture trademark alert

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: storm <emstorm@sonic.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: permaculture trademark alert
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:06:06 -0700

Besides the previously mentioned possible motivations for Bill and Lisa to
go through with a trademark, I thought of another one.

Bill has said that he hoped that others would create their own systems and
not just parrot/steal his ideas. I can imagine that this may be a way to
stop Permaculture from becoming dogma or institutionalized. By taking away
some of the core pieces, others will be forced to become inventive and
develop new systems that work for their areas and their fields. Some
people do lean rather heavily on the words, pictures and ideas of a few.
Whether or not this is the best way to accomplish those goal, is still open
for debate.

There is some loss of the credibility and recognition that Permaculture has
developed. But in the long run, this may be the best for the spread of the
central values and ideas held within Permaculture.

Those who have created a living based on some of those core pieces will
need to get creative, but I have great faith in their ability to do so.
Many have already made this transition. There are many great ideas out
there to borrow from and build on to create wonderfully diverse and
appropriate new systems.

It is the strength of the ideas, not the name, that will make a difference.

Eric Storm