permaculture - Re: permaculture trademark alert

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Greg <Greg@Permaculture.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: permaculture trademark alert
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:48:53 -0700

All,

I just got off the telephone with my trademark attorney (I run a software company) and this is what he told me.

*****
"In order to claim a trademark on a term you MUST police the term to make sure that no one is using it. Given that he has put it in common use and not policed it for over 20 years, he has no claim to it."
*****

Also, given that the attorney at the patent office has turned down that application based on the fact that Permaculture is in the dictionary, it is my opinion that we have nothing to worry about.

What's Mollison going to do, sue the 100's of thousands of people that are using the word.

Greg Peterson

List your Permaculture Courses for free on http://www.Permaculture.net

For more information contact:

Greg Peterson