permaculture - Re: Deer

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Deer
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 01 11:15:31 -0700

I second (or probably first, since I know I've told him about it) on the
double fence technique. I first heard it from this wierd Aussie from
Tasmania who always wore thongs and smoked incessantly. He called it a
"chicken moat" and said you could run chooks inside it and they'd do a
pretty good job of keeping gophers and such out as well- maybe if you
added a little terrier with 'em.
I've heard lots of deer talk in Nafex circles too- orchards are easier.
One said that deer were mainly a problem when new leaves were coming on,
and then he'd put out a single-strand electric fence. The secret was to
put peanut butter on the wire.............
Deer can indeed lead you to inventive sadism.
-Rick

  • Deer, Jeffrey Newman, 06/13/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Deer, Kevin Topek, 06/13/2001