permaculture - Re: A permaculture challenge for a tomato virus

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Neil Barraclough" <neilb@vic.australis.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: A permaculture challenge for a tomato virus
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 22:04:41 +1100 (EST)

According to the book- Tomato Diseases- A practical Guide for Seedsmen,
Growers and Agricultural Advisors, Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus is spread
by the Sweet Potato Whitefly, Bemisia tabaci. Virus of this nature are
generally spread by sap sucking insects and often have a single species of
insect involved in their spread.

I haven't been aware on TYLC and the above mentioned book doesn't list it's
distribution to include Australia, however, strategies used to reduce
problems with other virus's should also apply, these could include-

1. Use of tolerant varieties, this is recomend in the above mentioned book
and should be one of the first approaches of organic growers if
practicable. This approach also gives us an opportunity to increase the
understanding of the need to maintain the diversity we have to select from.

2. Plants grown in biologically active soil with high humus levels and
adequate suplies the necessary major minerals as well as a balance of trace
minerals seem much less susceptable to attack from sap sucking insects.
Calcium may be one important mineral in producing plants with a strong cell
structure making them less attractive to these insects.

3. With a biological diversity there should be a lesser tendency for
buildups of populations of insects like the white flys, with better
predator numbers, however weeds in the solanaceae family could be a source
of the virus and these should be removed.

4. A way of the home gardener reducing white fly numbers could be to place
yellow sheets of plastic or similar coated with a sticky substance, the
flys are attracted to the yellow and become trapped.

Neil Barraclough

neilb@vic.australis.com.au