permaculture - Re: question for waterproofing canvas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Phil Vergamini" <Phil@inetserv.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: question for waterproofing canvas
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:33:11 -0600

I've noticed that linseed oil is recommended a lot in this thread. This is just a cautionary note. We've all heard at one time or another about the dangers of oil soaked rags causing fires by spontaneous combustion, I have heard linseed oil is a particularly bad actor in this regard. I don't have a reference handy for this but would recommend that any linseed oil soaked cloth be hung out to dry (rather than piled on a workbench to be attended to later). It is surprising how much heat is generated in a short period of time (an hour or two - it doesn't take days or weeks to spontaneously ignite).

-Phil
--
Phil Vergamini, Santa Fe, NM
mailto:Phil@inetserv.com http://www.inetserv.com/