permaculture - Re: Organic honeymoon period over????

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Xavier Dequaire <xavier@futurich.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic honeymoon period over????
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:05:03 +0100

There is much truth in what Yaya points out.
The food costs have to be set in a larger perspective: your health is related
to what
you eat, and you can adjust your food to improve your health.
in other words maintainance is cheaper than fixing,
and if a good maintainance of our health, costs more than a poor
maintainance, fixes
are always much more expansive in addition to the fact that being ill has
other
consequences than economical ones
eating organic food help you keeping a better health
Beyond that, buying organic helps to supports the enviroment, where you live,
limiting
the amount of poisons in nature hence supporting also your health...

to take another example from France, people can get to the supermarket and
buy very
very cheap porc meat.
Intensive industrial porc production is the main reason for at underground
water has
been polluted and is not fitted for consumption.
So the same person buying the cheap porc is obliged to buy very expansive
bottled
water that has been transportedon several hundred km.

Had the pork been organical, it might have been more expansive, but the tap
water
could be drinkable and the total bill of the consumer much lower.

Organic gardening is way more effective than industrial agriculture,
to take a simple example I know a guy producing up to 19 kg onions on a
square meter,
and has been doing so for many years on exacly the same spot... organically
normal numbers are 2-5 kg...

there is still some work to be done to explain the hollistics of all,
and the long term reality of life,
or I could say the long term perspective of the good life, though the good
life is
always in the happening instant (Carpe Diem)
act locally think global

peace

Xavier

--