permaculture - Re: Lawn Obsession.....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marsha Hanzi" <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lawn Obsession.....
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 06:59:18 -0300

Hello Claude!

I have found that a good solution to the "tidiness problem" is to group
the trees with flowers and permanent decorative plants ( comfrey should be
good for you here?) , put a clean wall or other clean marking around them so
that it looks "tidy" and thus reduce significantly the size of the lawn you
mow. We have a number of ground covers here in the tropics which look like
lawns but never need mowing, and, being of succulent plants, are not so far
"down" in ecosystem progression, as grass is, thus improving the general
health of the site. A good book for you to check out is "Making a Forest
Garden" distributed by Permaculture Publications in Britain. I believe they
give a list of such ground cover-- the book is not with me here, but I think
they may give you a lot of good advice for your climate there in Vermont.

Also think of sticking in a pond or two- my neighbor made a 1.5 by 1 meter
pond ( no kidding!) which he waters from a hanging hose from time to time to
ensure oxigenation-- looks very pretty. In Switzerland I have also seen
such tiny ponds ( they call them "biotopes") which look really pretty, can
produce aquatic foods, and also diminish the size of the lawn you have to
mow.

A good strategy its to "eat into your lawn" from the edges, make them nice
and curvy with clean walls ( or border plants), leaving a pretty lawn area
in the middle, easy to mow and to care for, great for playing or taking the
sun ( you DO have sun there in Vermont, don't you?) The neighbors won't
mind, seeing a pretty blob of lawn in the middle of your garden will satisfy
their esthetic sense..

Good Luck!
Marsha in Brazil...