permaculture - Re: dealing with your journalist

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Judith Hanna <jehanna@gn.apc.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dealing with your journalist
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 08:06:53 +0100

Dear Myk (and others)

>For instance, today I have had a call from a free lance journalist who wants
>to do an article on permaculture for a national magazine - should an attempt
>be made to describe permaculture in a condensed introductory format i.e.
>definition of principles, ...etc? Or to demonstrate the application of
>permaculture design to stimulate interest and then recommend relevant books
>and suppliers from where more information and contacts can be found? I am
>considering the latter in that I feel stimulation of interest is more
>important than statement of facts. But I'm open to other opinions.

Dealing with journalists: Start by

-- giving them practical examples, and
-- more people they can talk to.
-- Soundbites -- ie, those pithy permaculture maxims -- but avoid long
complicated jargon.

The soundbites I find best are that:

-- permaculture design principles are about working out how to put
'earthcare, peoplecare and fair shares' principles into practice in
whatever you're doing, and

-- you start where you're at, closest to home, and work outwards -- that's
what zoning is about, and why 'local' is so important

-- you work with nature, not against it -- working clever, not hard.

-- you look for resources to hand, and put them to good uses. And get as
many uses out of what's to hand as possible. Waste and pollution are what
you get if resources aren't being put to use.

Talking to journalists you have a sort of double audience -- you're talking
to them as a person -- and at the same time both they and you need to have
in mind what words will work on page for their readers. Any one interviewee
is likely to get boiled down to three paras at most -- unless they decide
to do a feature on you as a person. (I confess to having been, and still
occasionally being, a hack myself).

Its useful to have in mind the three main points you want them to take away
from talking to you, and relate what you say and show them, to those points.

Then their story is likely to go on to the next thing -- for instance, the
other people and examples you've given them. It is always better, of
course, if they have lots of people who agree with you to talk to and quote
-- rather than people who think what you're doing is a waste of time and
space.

Don't get uptight about talking to them. Relax, be yourself (but unless you
want to be dismissed as a hairy hippy make sure hair is brushed and tidy
[general, not personal Myk]), smile and tell the stories that you know work
with classes and friends. I think of it as kinda like being on best
behaviour for parents and similar elderly relatives one basically gets
along with but doesn't want to shock.

Hope the interview goes/went well...
Judith Hanna
jehanna@gn.apc.org
15 Jansons Rd, Tottenham, London N15 4JU