permaculture - re: Comfrey

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mikal Jakubal <mjakubal@asis.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: re: Comfrey
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:31:59 -0800

I have an ankle that I seriously sprain every few years. After one such
occasion, I lightly cooked and mashed up comfrey roots and leaves, wrapped
the mucilaginous mush in cheese cloth, wrapped it around my swollen ankle
and secured the wrap with an ace bandage. Repeated twice daily. The ankle
healed miraculously quickly. Being a semi-regular occurrence, I was
familiar with how long it should've taken. I did the comfrey treatment on
the advice of friends who said it was really good for muscle and bone
injuries. Worked for me!

I too have heard that it is not good to put on deep wounds because it tends
to close them up from the outside first and trap whatever is in deeper.
But, check a good herbology book for any of this stuff.

Mikal