permaculture - Re: Comfrey

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: permaculture digest <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Comfrey
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:02:47 -0800 (PST)

Hi Arina:

Comfrey gets its bad reputation because, as Loren noted, it spreads by root
division. Conventional gardeners and ranchers hate the stuff because when
they till, it spreads all over. So the key is not to till or dig near the
plant. I've had comfrey in the same place (slowly increasing in size) for 6
years, yet I do light cultivation very close to it. It's an incredible
plant, with about 15 uses, and deserves a place in any permaculture
landscape. And I actually managed to remove one by digging carefully very,
very deep, following the roots, and then doing an extra heavy sheet mulch
using wool carpet over it. So far so good (2 years). Just don't till it.

Toby