permaculture - RE: Ants in the compost

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Ants in the compost
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:28:27 +1000

DONT GET RID OF YOUR ANTS YET!!
ants make ideal seed raising compost. Especially termites, but you don't
want them
so red ants are a great substitute, can you plan to move the compost heap
instead?
or simply start the next pile (rotating compost piles is the ultimate laxy
method,
you don't have to turn the piles (the temperature doesn't have to get high)
and eventually
compost occurs - in addition to this you get to prepare the area for
seedlings,
each old compost pile is an ideal growing space for you seedlings.
If you really want to get rid of ants the permaculture way, let your
chickens eat them.
April

Permaculture Visions International.
International Permaculture Teaching Project
Leaders in Student Focused Distance Learning.

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv