permaculture - Re: FIRE ANT CONTROL

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: UrbanHarve@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: FIRE ANT CONTROL
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:11:16 EST

We have lots of imported fire ants in Houston. They are our worst pest--
attacking nearly any gardener once or more per week. There are no good
controls organic or otherwise short of bringing in phorid flies from South
America. But, they do not like forests, and prefer soils with low organic
content. In my 20 years here I have tried a lot of things. Abamectin fungus
baits (Ascend) from Whitmire (800-325-3668) and Planet Natural (800-289-6656)
works the best. Many, many substances will make the mounds move but virtually
nothing destroys them, and like kudzu, they spread relentlessly. Hot water is
the number two treatment.

On the up side, they eat ticks, termites, and scorpions, but never seem to
bother human food that has been harvested.

Phorid flies are already being released in Texas.

Bob Randall

  • FIRE ANT CONTROL, EWerb, 03/02/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: FIRE ANT CONTROL, UrbanHarve, 03/09/1999