permaculture - Re: Termites

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Elfpermacl@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Termites
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 11:01:46 EST

<< can't comment on Paraguayan termites, but our Australian termites do
enjoy a feed of eucalyptus.

However, some euc. species are more resistant than others - River Red
Gum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) for instance was generally used for
railway sleepers (ties) before being passed over in favour of concrete.
Surplus Red Gum sleepers are now widely used for retaining walls,
terracing etc. in Australia and often last for decades, although
(depending on the area) they may succumb sooner or later.

Let me know what species of eucalypts are grown in Paraguay and I can
check on their termite resistance - for Australian termites anyway.

Paul Osmond

Actually, I don't know the species. I had a limited time on site and the
forestry block seemed able to take care of itself, so I didn't visit the main
planting. In any case, it would be laborious task for me to key them out as
there are so many species and I've never done anything with any of them and of
course they are not remotely related to anything that grew in the woods that I
roamed while growing up.

A better bet seems to be to get a handle on the native species that are
resistant and get them planted too. The tree belts, a la Yeomas, are already
in the design report.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since 1982),
Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence
courses via email. Copyright, 1998, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA Internships. YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
Elfin Permaculture programs are listed at the Eastern Permaculture Teachers
assn home page: http://home.ptd.net/~artrod/epta/eptahmp.html