permaculture - Re: Termites

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Elfpermacl@aol.com
  • To: hanzibra@svn.com.br, owner-permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu, permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Termites
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 12:17:52 EST

thanks Marsha:

You comment is helpful because it is practical. I agree that termites are
very important, taking on role of earthworms in temperate soils or crawfish in
waterlogged soils. My chickens enjoy them--we have termites in florida too.

when I mentioned the value of termites to my friends in Paraguay, of course
they looked at me like I was in league with the Devil. To them, they are
eating the house so they are the enemy. Sigh. Well they will probably come
around in time.
Meanwhile, I'll add your notes to the recommendations.

the fumes of kerosene, by the way, are not at all good for people either and
that is a serious matter, especially for young children.

Have you any experience with Eucalyptus in terms of termite resistance?
Unfortunately someone planted a lot of it on their place before they bought it
and they think it is great because the trees are big. But in Paraguay,
espeically, one wants to be planting native timber trees because the country
is almost entirely deforested (2 or 3 years to zero forest). I'd like to be
able to tell them to cut their eucalyptus to have termite -resistant wood, but
only if it is true, of course.

It is nice to have your voice of sanity back on the list.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since 1982),
Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence
courses via email. Copyright, 1998, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA Internships. YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
Elfin Permaculture programs are listed at the Eastern Permaculture Teachers
assn home page: http://home.ptd.net/~artrod/epta/eptahmp.html