permaculture - Rant-and-Rave

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jack Rowe <jackrowe@compuserve.com>
  • To: "INTERNET:permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Rant-and-Rave
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 23:33:49 -0400

>>Dragging food safety into this is too murky an issue, and very prone to
political manipulation.<<

Mein Gott!! Can we give this guy a prize?

Political manipulation is RIGHT! So after getting screwed for the last 50
years by the military-industrial complex (which after all did have a
legitimate economic need to continue production of the incredible
quantities of nerve toxins and nitrate explosives put into motion by
WWII)... after being assured by our lemming-leaders that to deliberately
poison food is sane because it makes somebody richer (am I just stupid?)...
after exhausting the idea that a desire for clean food was un-patriotic,
after exhausting the idea that a desire for clean food made us unrealistic,
Luddites, pie-in-the-sky, now we hear that to desire safe food is
'political manipulation'!

Brand me a political manipulator of the worst breed, then -- I want food
that wasn't raised according to our 'best scientific information' [read
"highest profit margin; shut up and eat your poison, you stupid cattle"].
How is it that our 'best scientific information' never seems to result in a
thoughtful pause before launching into yet another incredibly-profitable
little bit of global insanity?

Ok, I'm a moon-eyed goofball, but should the ag extension bulletin I picked
up today on strawberry production REALLY have included the sentence
"CAUTION: BOTH THESE MATERIALS ARE VERY HAZARDOUS"? [Ag extension's
emphasis, bless their little hearts]. Am I REALLY a political manipulator
if putting poison on food doesn't make sense to me? FOOD?!?! POISON?!?!
Which of these pictures doesn't belong?

Together with mr kendra's recent reassertion, per his customary wont, that
food is worse for you than ag chemicals, this has been quite an interesting
week, yes indeedy.

Ok, so here's my proposal: until the petrochemicals run out, let's just
toss out the whole food thing, save a lot of unnecessary and 'dirty' steps
(sorry) and just eat the poisons. Cheaper, apparently safer, and lower
energy cost in the end. Which should come fairly quickly. And quit'cher
bitchin.

Doc: "Jack, you've got to stop eating that food, it's just slow poison";
Jack: "Well shoot, Doc, I ain't in no great hurry".

Ok. Chemical cocktails, anyone?