permaculture - Re: hedgerow plants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michael Miller & Ute Bohnsack" <burrenag@iol.ie>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: hedgerow plants
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 10:13:46 +0100

Hi Arina,
I guess it all comes down to site condition. My brother-in-law has planted
some in a loamy soil in northern Germany and they sucker profusely. As for
here (Ireland / brown earth) I'll have to see and wait as they were only
planted this spring. I also took some ripe berries around Christmas 96 from
Germany and managed to grow some plants. I hope there'll be a male amongst
them. You are right, of course, about giving away surplus plants. There's
not much of a garden culture in this neck of the woods and most people here
have never seen sea buckthorn but I guess I could convince some folks of
the plants value.
Another anecdote: In the post WWII years sea buckthorn was protected by law
in Germany as it was pretty much the only source of Vitamin C left in the
country (apart from apples)!

Ute