permaculture - Re: hedgerow plants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michael Miller & Ute Bohnsack" <burrenag@iol.ie>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: hedgerow plants
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 14:22:43 +0100

Hi!
Sorry to contradict you but in my experience Hippophae - under the right
conditions - is quite invasive as it suckers. It's a classic pioneer of
sandy coastal habitats in Europe. I haven't seen it being spread by birds
(seeds) outside its natural habitat, though. Personally I love it and have
planted a few and hope they *will* invade my place because of their beauty
and invaluable properties. If there's too much I can always cut it back or
dig it up.

Ute

[snip|