permaculture - RE: hedgerow plants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu, <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: hedgerow plants
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 23:34:42 -0700 (PDT)

At 01:44 PM 5/27/98 +1000, April Sampson-Kelly wrote:
>do you have the botanical names for Autumn Olive and Cornus mas?
>thanks,
>April

Seabuckthorn - or sea berry (Hippophae rhamnoides L.)

NOT invasive
Nitrogen fixing
Erosion control (surface root system)
Tolerates poor slightly alkaline soils
Edible berries rich with vitamin C, A and bioflavonoid (juices, jellies)
Very valuable medicinal oil in berries
Light shade provider
Very hardy, probably drought tolerant, 6-12 feet tall

Scott & Arina Pittman

Permaculture Institute
PO Box 3702, Pojoaque, NM 87501 US
*********