percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy and Tarantino

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Henry P. Mills" <wppdirector AT gmail.com>
  • To: Percy-L <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy and Tarantino
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 23:15:09 -0400

Percy-L members may recall an earlier post of a 2016 article about Christian Bale in which he speaks of the MG relative to Terrence Malick’s film, “Knight of Cups.”
There, Bale, quite dryly, comments on Malick’s obvious affinity for the novel and its importance to the film. Malick is mentioned in the Tarantino article Leslie shares.

It seems some of the finest and most original directors of the modern era owe inspiration to the MG, even as it has never made it to the silver screen (yet). All we need is add David Lynch to the lot, and then we may really be “onto” something...

Thanks for sharing, Leslie.

Henry Mills

Christian Bale hates talking about acting: 'I just want to push a pencil through my eyeball'
Take Two, KPCC, March 4, 2016

While working on “Knight of Cups," Terrence Malik's latest film, Christian Bale didn't have much to work with.

"We would get on the set, they're already filming me [and] I don't know what we're doing," said Bale. "The only research that Terry really gave me other than our conversations — which were extensive — was the book by Walker Percy, 'The Moviegoer,' where he's on a search for who knows exactly what, but you know you must be on that search."