percy-l - [percy-l] CFP: Walker Percy at SAMLA, Nov. 4-6, 2021

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Karey Perkins <kareyperkins AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] CFP: Walker Percy at SAMLA, Nov. 4-6, 2021
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 15:36:12 -0400

Hi Percy List —

I posted this call for papers (below) earlier this spring, and just wanted to post one more time in case there is any more interest before I submit the Percy session(s) to SAMLA organizers.

SAMLA is being very flexible with deadlines this year (due to Covid, I imagine), so I am extending the deadline for submitting abstracts another week or so—until mid-July.  If you have an area of interest on Walker Percy that you’d like to present at SAMLA, send the abstract to me at kareyperkins AT gmail.com.  CFP and links to the conference with more information are below.

The conference will be in-person (Atlanta), which will be great after our virtual conference of 2020.

However, if you are hesitant about presenting in person due to lingering pandemic concerns, you can present remotely instead of in-person.  We can live stream you using Zoom into the conference session room while you are in the safety of your sanitized home!  You don’t have to show up in person.  We’ve done this before when one panel presenter could not travel to the conference due to last minute illness of a family member, and it worked great.

I will be there in person though!  I hope to see more abstracts and live Percy presenters this year!  I am very much looking forward to the presentations and the informal discussions we have before and after the sessions!

Here is the CFP with the information:

Walker Percy CFP for SAMLA 93

November 4-6, 2021, Atlanta, GA

Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel and Conference Center

https://samla.memberclicks.net/

https://samla.memberclicks.net/samla-93-calls-for-papers

“Walker Percy: Networking, Distancing, and More”

Papers for this traditional session may focus on any aspect of Walker Percy’s life and works, either fiction or non-fiction.  Especially welcome are topics relevant to the SAMLA 93 conference theme: Social Networks, Social Distances.   How are Percy’s novel’s characters networked and connected, or conversely, distanced and alienated, whether socially or other ways, such as existentially?  Percy also wrote extensively on the human capacity for language, or “symbol-mongering,” as he called it.  Percy’s semiotic viewed human communication as a “tetradic event,” one that is necessarily a social event, requiring a community of speakers, with these themes pervasive in his novels as well as his philosophy, his scientific research, and his other interdisciplinary research.  Please send 300-word abstracts on these topics or any aspect of Percy’s fiction or non-fiction by July 17, 2021, to Dr. Karey Perkins, South Carolina State University, at kareyperkins AT gmail.com.  Please also include a brief bio and any A/V requirements in your abstract.

 Karey

Karey Perkins, M.A., M.A.T., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of English
296A Turner Hall, South Carolina State University
Orangeburg, SC 29117
kperkin1 AT scsu.edu | 803-536-7016
www.scsu.edu
Member, Institute for Studies in Pragmaticism
Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX  79409-0002