percy-l - Re: [percy-l] [External] Re: Slomo Etc

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Plemmons, Gregory" <gregory.plemmons AT Vanderbilt.Edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] [External] Re: Slomo Etc
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 18:22:18 +0000

Slomo is an interesting parallel, yet I'm not sure I put him on the ledge
next to Dr. More, at least in the manner in which he's depicted. In a way,
Slomo's story is only interesting to us in the upper-middle-class context of
what he's seemingly left behind: a successful career and education, his
native South, and the decision to pursue what he wants--a decision, it
appears, that still required some sort of external catalyst, or event. As I
take it from the video, he developed a neuropsychiatric condition which
leaves him with the ability to recognize other people's faces, or
prosopagnosia, which was brilliantly described by Oliver Sacks in The Man Who
Mistook His Wife For A Hat (I can only dream of the conversations those two
might have had). It's Slomo's choice, that seems most interesting. One
wonders if there hadn't been an event (or a disease) how much longer Slomo
would have continued to "shovel shit" and "remain an asshole." He's lauded as
a celebrity because somehow an external event outside his control has somehow
managed to unsheath and demystify his gleaming purpose, and he transcends
what the rest of us long for--to do what we want. But what we want, as
pointed out earlier, distracts us from what we are.

For me, at least, one of Percy's essential struggles, and questions, has been
one of mindfulness: how do we access the Gift? There's a quote attributed to
Chekhov, "Any idiot can face a crisis, it's the day-to-day living that wears
you out"--that's always summed up for me what Percy is trying to access.

Binx, and More are propelled to go on their Search after some tragic event,
and it's a natural human reaction--purpose gives meaning to tragedy. Slomo
has found his meaning in rollerblading, on the sun-drenched Zen coast of
California. More, at least from what he tells us so far, does want to help
humanity with his lapsometer. It may be far-fetched, or theoretical, the work
of a madman, but it seems there's intention. As I watched the Slomo video, I
could steadily hear my internal Nurse Ellen, prodding him to snap out of it
and get back to work. Slomo loses some of his self-awareness the moment he
becomes part of the larger narrative constructed by the film-maker (what
would Percy think about selfies?)--to quote Percy, the thing is no longer the
thing. I guess More loses some of the Self, as well, simply by telling us his
story, in the constructed narrative of LiTR. I guess that's why I still
enjoying reading much more than film.

Thanks to everyone for all the interesting discussion and ideas so far! I've
really been enjoying this campsite...

Gregory Plemmons