percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Peirce/Percy

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Mike Frentz <mfrentz AT bbn.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Peirce/Percy
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:04:19 -0400

If anyone is seriously interested in this question, Deacon's book "The Symbolic Species"  (1997) has by far the most lucid description I've read of how symbols are composed (composable) from Peircean icons and indices.  His work on the origins of language (and the virtual absence of it in all species but our own) is very much in line with Percy's insight, but very well grounded in contemporary hands-on scientific experimentation and findings.

Someone on Peirce-L also noted that Deacon's Homunculus book is still cited as being underway on his website.  Something to look forward to.

Mike