percy-l - RE: [percy-l] (no subject)

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Greg Taylor" <gorent AT nts-online.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] (no subject)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:30:54 -0500

Rhonda:

I'd echo Nikki's suggestion concerning the Foote novels but my favorite is Jordan County - a Falkneresque fictional history that follows seven generations in a Miss. town. Jordan County and Follow Me Down are gripping reads. However, you can also find the American Mercury edition of Stars in Their Courses. This is a 290 page "book" which excerpts Foote's chapter concerning the Gettysburg campaign from the massive narrative. I believe that Foote's evenhanded and inspired treatment of the material about Gettysburg is much superior to Michael Shaara'a The Killer Angels (which seems to have grabbed the public imagination - not to mention the History Channel - over the past 10 years). If you only have time to read a small portion of Foote on the Civil War then Stars in Their Courses will fit the bill.