percy-l - Re: Percy reader needs rec.'s

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: David Alan Beck <dabeck AT iupui.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Percy reader needs rec.'s
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:37:26 -0500 (EST)

Sean,
The Last Gentlman might be a good one (although the similarities--child
dying, etc., might make her think that we was a singer of one song, which,
of course, is far from the truth). The students in my Intro to Fiction
class enjoy Lancelot more than The Moviegoer (not enough sex and violence
probably). But it seems to have a certain appeal to young people, But I
guess it depends on how young your friend is and if she is offended by
some of the language. But if she is like my students (19 or 20), they seem
to be a pretty jaded bunch; not much shocks or disturbs them. They grew up
on MTV.

For what it's worth,

David Beck

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright
future for man if he spent less time proving that
he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness
and respecting her seniority."
- E. B. White